Search This Blog

Monday, June 7, 2021

Love and FSH Muscular Dystrophy

So this is an appropriate day to post something on love and FSH.

Love and relationships are hot topics on FSHD online groups and chats.  I think we all feel having FSHD is a guaranteed bad luck charm on love.  I  know I have used it as a reason for failed relationships and not following my marriage time line. I recently realized it's not always the FSHD.  It's just the way love goes.

I read a wonderful article from Kristin Duquette on love and being disabled (http://www.mobilewomen.org/2015/02/im-disabled-20-something-and-believe-in.html?m=1) We have as much love to give as anyone else.  But we often forget we are worthy of the same love.

Not sure if it is my personality or the disease that made me feel unworthy of being loved.  I think those with disabilities feel like they are not whole,  including their hearts.  Which of course couldn't be further from the truth.

It's another journey we face and God be with those brave enough to stand by those of us who take awhile to figure it out.

On this Valentine's weekend I got engaged. It is still sinking in. It's becoming apparent that being loved is as much about loving as letting yourself be loved. 

I find it overwhelming.

Not just the love from the brave soul who signed up for the FSHD adventure with me.  But,  the honest love from those people in my life who I have shared this news with.  In a world so jaded, cynical and crazy busy,  I feel I very real love and happiness channelled to me.

I'm trying to take it all in.  It's scary but I find I am enjoying feeling 'young and in love'.  It's nice to have that feeling of love without the memory of heartbreak and pain.  It's nice to not worry about how the FSHD might impact the relationship.  It's nice to just enjoy the moment and let it all in.

On this Valentine's Day I wish you all (especially my FSHD champions) a world of love from all those around you and more importantly,  the strength to allow yourself to be loved.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a wonderful post. I would like to re-post part of it on the FSH Society blog. May I? Of course will credit and link back to your blog. - June

    ReplyDelete