Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Blanket - Part Three


Hoping this is the last post under The Blanket series of posts.

Today I welcomed my niece into the world. She is beautiful and entered with so much sweetness and charm. A friend told me she believes cute babies are nature's way of encouraging people to keep the population going. This little one will do that for sure.

Overdue, she emerged far less scrunchy than some kids. My nephew enjoyed meeting his new sister and I hope they find new adventures together and that I will be a part of them.

As I left for the hospital, I knew there was something I had to take to my niece. The blanket my friend had made for me when I started my adoption process more than five years ago. If you have read my Blanket posts, you will know what this blanket symbolizes.

It felt like it it was meant for her, by the same destiny that refused me to have my own daughter. I am trying to reconcile this in my mind. Why some things are meant for some and not for others. But I guess there are many answers to that question, none of which are good enough at a time of emotion.

I gently covered this little princess in the blanket. The soft, cuddly blanket knitted with so much kindness for me. At least I could pass along that same kindness and love to my niece. I hope with this, I can get some kind of closure for that part of my life.

I feel selfish knowing I will never experience that joy and pray that the joy I will get as an aunt will be enough.

(by the way, this picture is not my niece, but a cutie just the same)

No comments:

Post a Comment