Search This Blog

Friday, May 4, 2012

Disneyland Part 1 - The Big Dream

I just returned from my dream trip to Disneyland. A dream trip because I had the chance to plan a wonderful week-long adventure with my nephew. 


I love that kid.


But I also wanted the trip to be really memorable for a number of other reasons. I needed to do this trip while I still could. I wanted to be able to be mobile and create a fun experience with him that I would never be able to share with my own child. I also wanted to do something memorable with the last of my adoption money since the adoption wouldn't be completed.


I suppose to some that would seem a frivolous way to spend the money, but I really needed to do this. I needed to have that memory and I needed him to have a memory of me that was "normal".


I planned the trip sparing no expense to ensure the trip was easy, given the limitations with FSH. I knew I would never be able to take him on my own as he has more energy than a flock of rabbits. So his other aunty came along. Thank god for her! She is a very kind person who loves him as much as I do, so I knew this would be a great experience for her too. 


I insisted on paying for everyone as I felt I had to have that independence and ensure I didn't feel like a burden. I guess that is something many people go through with a disability. It also gave me this great freedom and euphoria to be able to get him anything he wanted and do whatever we wanted to do.


We had a week of fun and we packed it! Disneyland, Knott's Berry Farm, Legoland, Seaworld, all the swimming he could handle, parks and movies every night.


I don't think I have ever laughed so hard. Kids are so amazing and this one has a sense of humour you would not believe.


I had lots of advice from friends with FSH and friends who had been to Disney. I myself had been to most of these places a few years ago. I didn't realize what a difference a few years could make.


Therein lies the second part of this post - The Reality. Reality comes and gets you every time. The question is, would it be enough to knock me off my game?

No comments:

Post a Comment