Search This Blog

Friday, December 23, 2011

Circle of Influence

For those who know me, you have heard me say a million times how important a positive circle of influence is. Someone in my circle sent this post to me yesterday. I did my part by re-sending it to everyone else in my circle. The entire post is excellent and worth reading, printing, framing, pretty much anything short of tattooing. Surrounding yourself with the right people is top on the list.

For me, the 'right' people include those who support me through this challenge and all other challenges I face that fall in the 'part of life' category. But, they also include the people in my life who don't understand FSH and what it means, those who don't believe me when I tell them what I am going through, and those who just tell me to shut up about it. It is sometimes those people I value (mostly in hindsight) because they make me fight for the life I want to lead.

Ironic, when you defend something it ends up pushing away your own doubt. The words that sting the most aren't new. I say them to myself a million times. But when I hear them, I am driven to defend myself.

"No, I don't want to tell people I have a back problem. I want to tell them the truth."

"No, I am not lazy. I am really just tired."

"No, I am not vain. I really needed that operation."

"No, I am not taking this too seriously. I am trying to learn, teach and inspire something positive out of the situation."

"Don't tell me I can't."

Some of these thoughts came from the people closest to me. Some meant well, some were just thoughtless and some still live in a reality where having a disability means game over. As my sweet nephew likes to say, "No, game NOT over".

It has taken me a long time to get "through the muck" and realize how strong I am. Not just because I fight the ideas I don't like (whether they come from me or someone else), but because the majority of my circle consists of strong, caring, compassionate people who care about me and see past my disability. They don't all have to be experts in FSH. Some of them don't even know what it is. But it doesn't matter. They see me for who I am, listen to my dreams, give me a hand or a kick in the butt when I need it. Most of all, they make me laugh. With laughter you can get through just about anything.

To my circle of influence, thank you.

1 comment:

  1. I find an overwhelmingly positive attitude invigorating, helping me so much in public and getting my impossible challenges done -- breaking down occasionally when I'm alone and just too exhausted to drag myself forward.

    It may be denial or faking-it, none-the-less a useful and pleasant learned coping skill.

    ReplyDelete