Search This Blog

Thursday, December 8, 2011

I am grateful I only have FSH

An odd thing to say, I know. But I just received an email from a close high school friend of mine updating me on another friend who is dying of cancer. She is 40, just like me.

We all went to school together and I can still remember her face in my head. Not having seen her since our reunion, in my mind she remains healthy and glowing as she always was.

She describes her experience as an unreal hell and can't grasp what is happening to her and how quickly her breast cancer spread to her liver, lungs and brain. She is undergoing painful radiation treatment to buy her some time, but spends that precious time going from one hospital to the next for treatment.

She remarked on how quickly life changed - one minute in her husband's arms, the next on a hospital bed. A good reminder of how absolutely out of control our lives are.

One way I tried to find the silver lining in my prognosis was to say everyone will get some kind of illness in their lives. It is inevitable. If this is all I get dealt, then my thanks to God.

I know that is a tough pill to swallow for many. FSH robs us of so many things in life and at times feels like a struggle that just gets you to next struggle. But have faith as the saying goes, if God get's to to it, he will get you through it. And for those of you who may not believe in God or have faith, don't worry, there are people around you who believe for you.

My heart goes out to my friend and her family. They will be in my prayers tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment